Phlebotomy Essentials, 5th Edition - CLEARANCE ITEM
In Stock: 1
Catalog #: G40005
Publisher/Vendor: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW)
Size: 8.5 x 11 inches
Format: Softcover Book
Condition Note: this book has a slight bend in lower right corner of cover.
Original description from the release of the 5th Edition:
Phlebotomy Essentials is a textbook created for all who want to correctly and safely practice phlebotomy. This new edition continues the LWW focus on providing accurate, up-to-date, and practical instruction in phlebotomy procedures and techniques, grounded by a comprehensive background in phlebotomy theory. Key additions include updated information on the latest CLSI guidelines, new media to accompany each chapter, more color photos, and the addition of terms to align the text with the International Standards Organization (ISO).
Written to be highly accessible to students at all levels, and comprehensive enough for practicing phlebotomists, this text is complemented by a robust ancillary suite to help readers of all learning styles master the material.
- Updated information and procedures incorporate the latest CLSI standards and guidelines. Added new "global harmonization" (worldwide uniformity) terms which CLSI recently adopted to align the use of terminology with that of the International Standards Organization (ISO). This means relying on this text helps users be completely current in their understanding.
- Additional caution, key point, and FYI statements in many chapters make it easy for readers to see what needs to be emphasized or taken into account.
- Larger, trim size provides a more user-friendly reader experience.
- Icons throughout the text refer readers to the McCall workbook and exam review texts for further opportunities to enrich their learning.
- Updated CDC/HICPAC isolation precaution guidelines in Chapter 3, including the expansion of the guideline to include infectious agents in all healthcare settings, adding the definition of healthcare associated infection (HAI), and adding respiratory hygiene/cough etiquette to standard precautions.
- Expanded medical terminology tables in Chapter 4 provide more examples of medical terminology elements to enhance learning medical and laboratory terminology.
- Added the very latest view of hemostasis and the coagulation process in Chapter 6.
- Additional photos, including new photos of the latest in phlebotomy equipment (people want to see what they don't have, and they can't comprehend without photographs of the equipment).
- Switched the order of Computers and Specimen Processing chapter with Arterial Procedures chapter. This allows the information on computers and processing to be introduced sooner and places the arterial puncture procedure and accompanying material in the last chapter to accommodate those who do not teach that chapter. (This speaks to the continuity of the book and how the authors understand that instruction needs to flow easily from one important topic to the next.)
- Full-color illustrations/photos throughout.
- Procedure boxes provide step-by-step directions with explanations on how to follow specific procedures.
- Two tube stopper guides in an appendix serve as a quick reference for determining the appropriate type of tube for blood collection for common tests.
- Key points and memory joggers help students identify and retain important concepts.
- FYI notes highlight fun facts and help to apply information.
- Caution notes identify dangerous practices (what could go wrong) and problem areas.
- Case studies bring concepts to life and enhance critical thinking skills.
- Objectives, key terms, and study and review questions are included in each chapter to enhance understanding.
- Spanish-English phrase appendix helps bridge language gaps and promote patient education.
- Appendix on Laboratory Mathematics.